Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wanted: Pressman, earn city wage with country living

That was the simple headline I previewed in the American Statesman that day. I was two weeks away from getting married and needed a better job. Burnet, Tx was an hour away the man said and he wanted to meet me right away. He had a small historical/vanity publishing company there in Burnet and was in need of help. Friday's were my day off and I headed West out of Austin for the interview. Now the Hill Country going West out of Austin is pretty with the occasional open view of meadows, live oak and juniper thickets and occasional creeks and river. I was not prepared for the view that awaited me at the outskirts of the city of Burnet. That is where the geological phenomenon known as the Burnet-Llano Uplift starts. The Edwards Plateau drops and you look down on Hamilton Creek Valley all the way to Llano County from that point. I had borrowed my fiancee's car that day and stunned I pulled over to take it in. I could see granite outcroppings, mountain ranges, and Buchanan Lake all surrounding the village of Burnet, TX. I had no idea what God and destiny had waiting for me around the corner. Man what a wild ride it became for the next 12 years. This is my story and the beginning of a living amends for my time with the Burnet County Characters.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your stories. Love the books too - very appropriate for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Hey Mike. This is great! You truly have a gift here. I'll check back often to see how you're doing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this is just another part of the ride...Wheeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete